Home PageAbout WolseysServicesBookingLocationContacts
Future Orangerie

Wolseys is a very attractive 8 bedroomed late 16th century country residence. A traditionally constructed timber framed property with rendered and pargeted elevations under a neat peg tiled roof, renovated in the Edwardian era, when a two storey red brick extension was added to the back as servants quarters. The house still retains the original servant bells. Perhaps the most exceptional feature is its location, at the end of a private 0.5mile long tree-lined driveway, set at the top of the valley with commanding views, with slopes so steep as to render ploughing unwise. On approaching the house there is an extensive courtyard, a variety of outbuildings and storage. The gardens are part formal with herbaceous borders, a York stone terrace for dining, neatly clipped hedging with a parkland setting beyond, with lawns and meadows interspersed with specimen, coniferous and deciduous trees including many rhododendrons and azaleas which thrive on the well drained acid soil.


The history of our fine home is incomplete, but there are records that there was a house on the site as early as 1421. For 200 years, the people who lived and died at Wolseys in northwest Essex had only a conventional burial available to them. Like most of the population of the small village of Duton Hill, they could choose to be interred in the nearby graveyard of Tilty church, or in that of Great Easton church two miles down the road.
In 1820, however, that all changed. Thomas Kearsey, a 45-year-old solicitor who had acquired Wolseys and surrounding land some 10 years earlier, set about designing his own consecrated rural cemetery. In an arable enclosure to the north of the 260-acre estate, he created a long flower garden, 66ft wide by 660ft long, which he named "God's Acre", with a row of oak trees on either side. For additional information visit here: